ACA website triples in cost but doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#101 The Dude

The Dude
  • Old School
  • 22,721 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

And she hasn't looked back ever since...

Stop quoting people. Makes you look like a dilettante.

#102 jasmine

jasmine
  • Old School
  • 22,350 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

The 1% should pay. They should pay for everything. About fucking time since they owe us bigtime.

Great.  Now stop whining and go make that happen.

You're the one defending a policy entirely designed to benefit them.   

Shrink all companies down 'til they're small enough to drown in a bathtub.- Spanner

#103 Eid

Eid

Shirt Happens

• Old School
  • 18,791 posts
  • Interests:The Shirts, The Whole Shirts, And Nothing But The Shirts, Ma'am.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

A real, undoctored photo of Sebelius in Tennessee yesterday after given a present:

BYA1XZfCEAAZdEi.jpg

She doesn't seem amused, but  :icon_lol: 

Edited by Eid, 02 November 2013 - 08:47 AM.

"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you." - Ben Franklin

"Unless you see something dark and shameful about appearing in public with healthy working leeches all over your head, and I don't." - Hunter S. Thompson

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

"I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer." - Jimmy Buffet in 'Son Of A Son Of A Sailor'

IPB Image

#104 jasmine

jasmine
  • Old School
  • 22,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Ha-ha. She doesn't know what to do with it. Is just itching to chuck it, but knows she's on camera.

Edited by jasmine, 02 November 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Shrink all companies down 'til they're small enough to drown in a bathtub.- Spanner

#105 Contracycle

Contracycle
  • Old School
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

Indeed.  I even defend people having jobs, despite the fact that this is something certainly designed to benefit the 1%.

#106 John VI

John VI

Pushin' that plow, hoein' that row

• Old School
  • 9,220 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

How exactly are you going to have them pick up the slack? The government would have to force the issue, don't see any politicians saying eat the rich in the real world.

In my opinion, that's because you are quite typical among Americans in scoffing and mocking the very idea. That's why I'm trying to understand your attitude.

There clearly are a lot more of us than there are of them. Saying, "let them pay for it", or "let them pay for more of it" should be a popular idea. But it isn't. Why do you think that is?
"I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about n*ggers, and they stomped the floor." - George Wallace, referring to voters in Alabama, ca. 1962

#107 Nehemiah Scudder

Nehemiah Scudder

somebody else for a change

• Old School
  • 22,736 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

BTW, does anyone have the same urge to slap the idiocy out of people that say its "just a website"?

Gringo -- "If you start accepting slippery slope arguments you're eventually going to start murdering kids."

“Wow. I started to type Chris Christie and autocorrect filled in Schadenfreude.”  - John F. TMBG

#108 jasmine

jasmine
  • Old School
  • 22,350 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Indeed.  I even defend people having jobs, despite the fact that this is something certainly designed to benefit the 1%.

Yeah well entirely isn't certainly. When you change the wording you totally lose the validity of any attempted comparison.

Edited by jasmine, 02 November 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#109 Contracycle

Contracycle
  • Old School
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

The media have covered these complaints with gusto, as if the cancelations are a genuine crisis and indication of a failure of Obama's health care law. The ACA was designed specifically to prevent insurance companies from peddling lousy insurance plans and to force these firms to replace these subpar products with affordable plans providing better and effective coverage. The plans being canceled are ending because they offered insufficient coverage—and only a few years ago both Rs and Ds were upset about these kinds of plans. But there's been collective amnesia about the shoddy plans that GOPers have happily exploited in recent days. Perhaps Obama should have said, "Those of you who obtain insurance on the individual market can keep your plans unless it’s the sort of rip-off plan the ACA will forbid. Otherwise, you will be offered new options that actually give you decent coverage at a decent price."

The fastest growing group of underinsured was people in households around the national median income, the $40,000 to $50,000 annual income range—folks who make too much to qualify for Medicaid but who don't have employer-sponsored plans or who can't afford the ones they're offered. Insurance companies jumped into the void with a lot of productsConsumer Reports dubbed "junk insurance." These were plans that barely qualified as insurance because they had very low caps on coverage or weren't even really insurance at all. Many were merely medical discount programs that didn't protect against health-related financial calamity. Insurance companies, including many of the biggest, marketed these products aggressively and often misleadingly—which was made easier by the lack of disclosure requirements in the sale of health insurance. Regulators struggled to protect consumers because so many of the junk plans were perfectly legal.

Take the case of HealthMarkets Inc., a company owned by the Goldman Sachs Group and Blackstone Group, two Wall Street giants. It had run-ins with state regulators repeatedly regarding its sale of junk health insurance on the individual market. The company paid out more than $40 million in settlements with state attorneys general over its deceptive sales practices between 2008 and 2010. In 2009, for example, after a long investigation, the Massachusetts attorney general fined the company $17 million and banned it from doing business in the state for five years.

Many of the plans on the individual market are so bad that people who have them might as well be uninsured. "The only people who like those plans are people who have never needed them," says Nancy Metcalf, a senior editor at Consumer Reports. "They haven't figured out yet how terrible they are. They think they have good coverage but they don't."

A good example might be Dianne Barrette, 56, who appeared on CBS News with Jan Crawfordlast week for a segment about the wave of cancelations. Barrette, a realtor in Florida, was upset because her $54 a month insurance plan was being canceled. She believed a new one would cost her more than $500 a month due to Obamacare. "What I have right now is what I'm happy with," she said. "I just want to know why I can't keep what I have. Why do I have to be forced into something else?"

But here’s the rub: Barrette's $54 plan wasn't even insurance. When I talked to her, she was unsure of what her plan covered. But she said it was what Blue Cross calls a "supplemental" or discount plan, which only pays $50 toward doctor's office visits and a few other out-patient services, including mammograms. What her plan doesn’t cover: hospitalization. Not at all. So if she gets hit by a car, the people ultimately picking up the tab will be the hospital and everyone else (by way of higher medical costs). If she gets cancer, she’s basically out of luck. "It's all I could afford," she told me.

Blue Cross was selling these plans in malls and other retail insurance "shops" in an effort to target young people who don't have or don't think they need health insurance, luring them in with cheap premiums of between $24 to $54 a month. The plans came with a not-well-disclosed caveat that they were not designed to replace hospital-surgical plans, which Blue Cross encouraged people to buy—provided the purchasers could get past all the exclusions for preexisting conditions.

Blue Cross is now canceling 300,000 plans in Florida, and, no doubt, a lot of them are such "Go Blue" plans. (A spokesman from Blue Cross of Florida wouldn't answer any specific questions about which plans are getting canceled.) The ACA was designed to replace plans like the one Barrette bought. And every plan sold on the Obamacare exchanges must provide a minimum and meaningful level of coverage, including free preventive care, mental health and maternity coverage, hospitalization, and rehabilitation services that are indispensable for anyone who has a disability, who becomes injured in a bad accident, or who has a degenerative disease such as multiple sclerosis. These plans don't have annual or lifetime coverage limits of any sort. And the insurance companies selling plans on the exchange must disclose coverage terms in such a way that people know what they're getting and can compare similar plans.

Much of the recent media coverage treats the old junk plans as a national treasure, their loss a true scandal. Far from being a victim of Obamacare, Barrette should have been a story about someone who will benefit immensely from the Affordable Care Act. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation premium calculator, Barrette, who makes about $30,000 a year, is eligible for an annual tax credit of up to $3,967 a year, which could get her a silver plan on the exchange for $234 a month (in cost to her), or a bronze plan, with slightly higher out of pocket costs, for $97 a month. True, with the bronze plans, she’d be paying $43 a month more, but in return, she would have true protection and access to health care, not sham coverage. A bronze plan would replace her $50 doctor's office discount with free preventive care services, including mammograms, cover hospitalization and other services, and cap her out of pocket costs at slightly more than $6,000 a year. Barrette should be cheering the death of her old plan.

http://www.motherjon...ealth-insurance

#110 Contracycle

Contracycle
  • Old School
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sundby wrote that she received a letter from UnitedHealthcare announcing the cancellation of her insurance policy. She was advised to seek a different plan from the ACA exchange in California, known as Cover California. However, she claimed that there aren't any insurance plans in the exchange that are accepted by both her primary care doctors at University of California San Diego, and her oncologists at and Stanford, thus forcing her to choose one or the other.

But here's the thing: Sundby wasn't shoved into this predicament because the ACA law forced her insurance provider out of the ballgame. UnitedHealthcare, one of the most notorious insurance providers before the ACA was passed, responsible for canceling policies and penalizing customers, decided to voluntarily bail out of the individual insurance game as a matter of corporate strategy. In doing so, it could avoid taking on less healthy customers early in the exchange sign-up process, forcing other insurers to absorb the risk. Clever. And sinister.

UnitedHealthcare Chief Executive Officer Stephen Helmsley said, "The company's plans reflect its concern that the first wave of newly insured customers under the law may be the costliest." He continued, "UnitedHealth will watch and see how the exchanges evolve and expects the first enrollees will have 'a pent-up appetite' for medical care. We are approaching them with some degree of caution because of that." A pent-up appetite -- you know, to not go broke while attempting to not die.

As you probably recall from the days before the ACA was passed, scores of customers were stripped of their insurance policies, many while suffering from life-threatening illnesses. The difference back then was once they'd lose their insurance, they were unable to qualify for a new policy due to rules against pre-existing conditions. That's thankfully not the case with Sundby -- not after the passage of the ACA, not any more. While she might be forced to switch emergency care facilities or to a new team of oncologists, she will absolutely be able to sign up for a new policy with better benefits thanks to the ACA. Conversely, four years ago, when UnitedHealthcare and others were pulling these exact same kinds of profit-making stunts, she would've faced bankruptcy or death or both, unable to sign up for a replacement policy.

http://www.huffingto..._b_4229439.html

My emphasis.

#111 Eid

Eid

Shirt Happens

• Old School
  • 18,791 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

Ridiculous semantics.

"Unless you see something dark and shameful about appearing in public with healthy working leeches all over your head, and I don't." - Hunter S. Thompson

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

"I'm just glad I don't live in a trailer." - Jimmy Buffet in 'Son Of A Son Of A Sailor'

IPB Image

#112 spanner

spanner
  • Old School
  • 13,219 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

BTW, does anyone have the same urge to slap the idiocy out of people that just say "Ridiculous semantics."?

"How many kids knifed themselves in the head this week, Cosmo?" - maxanne

"An assailant can have a knife planted in his skull and still kill you." - Cosmoline

Waaaa waaaaa Conservatives - The Majority Report with Sam Seder - and there was much rejoicing...

#113 Emmy Lu

Emmy Lu
  • Contributor
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

This is a mass murder policy PERIOD!  This will increase the death rate PERIOD!  If you like this president you can keep him...LaRouche says IMPEACH him.

#114 Emmy Lu

Emmy Lu
  • Contributor
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

The aides in my Congresswoman's office threw me out of there in spring of 09.  Three weeks ago, I went in there to reiterate that this was intended to increase the death rate and a long time aide was polite to me but said "that;s over the top"  What constitutes"over the top"

these days.  Verbally stating that the POS Pres is a puppet for the financial oligarchy who are on a desperate depopulation purge or is it lying to the American people repeatedly and millions of people receiving cancellation notices and the inability to afford the new premiums while in the midst of cancer treatment, kidney dialysis etc. The POS and his minions in congress can destroy the healthcare system of the US and turn healthcare into luxury only for the wealthy and that's not over the top?  We live in a strange world. 

#115 Eid

Eid

Shirt Happens

• Old School
  • 18,791 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

BTW, does anyone have the same urge to slap the idiocy out of people that just say "Ridiculous semantics."?

Typical 'progressive'... resort to violence when stymied :P

IPB Image

#116 Contracycle

Contracycle
  • Old School
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

We live in a strange world. 

You certainly do.

#117 CBQ

CBQ
  • Old School
  • 21,408 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

I just realized how much it sucks to be a Congresswoman's aide.

Yeah yeah. Talk is cheap. Cabbage is heavy.

-- Cosmo

Marriage is one of the basic civil rights of man

-- Supreme Court, Loving v Virginia

It is true that the marriage statute does not expressly prohibit gay and lesbian persons from marrying; it does, however, require that if they marry, it must be to someone of the opposite sex. Viewed in the complete context of marriage, including intimacy, civil marriage with a person of the opposite sex is as unappealing to a gay or lesbian person as civil marriage with a person of the same sex is to a heterosexual. Thus, the right of a gay or lesbian person under the marriage statute to enter into a civil marriage only with a person of the opposite sex is no right at all.

-Iowa Supreme Court, April 3, 2009

Chicagoans are fucking awesome.

-dr_imi

#118 CBQ

CBQ
  • Old School
  • 21,408 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

I dunno why I'm addressing this, but fuck it:

the financial oligarchy who are on a desperate depopulation purge

The financial oligarchy is unlikely to be stupid. The easiest way to reduce the population via legislation would be to establish a social safety net, cutting financial insecurity. All around the world and throughout history, this reduces the number of children produced by the poorest members of any society. The greater the financial insecurity, the more incentive to have multiple children.

Or they could simply release a poison into generic brands of pop. "Accidentally".

Or they could provide financial incentives to childless women.

Reducing health care for people who already are suffering from disease (which, btw, isn't happening), is mindlessly inefficient. Why would the financial oligarchs choose such a ridiculous method for population reduction?

-- Cosmo

It is true that the marriage statute does not expressly prohibit gay and lesbian persons from marrying; it does, however, require that if they marry, it must be to someone of the opposite sex. Viewed in the complete context of marriage, including intimacy, civil marriage with a person of the opposite sex is as unappealing to a gay or lesbian person as civil marriage with a person of the same sex is to a heterosexual. Thus, the right of a gay or lesbian person under the marriage statute to enter into a civil marriage only with a person of the opposite sex is no right at all.

-dr_imi

#119 CBQ

CBQ
  • Old School
  • 21,408 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

FFS, how could mandating maternity coverage possibly be part of a population purge?

-- Cosmo

-dr_imi

#120 jasmine

jasmine
  • Old School
  • 22,350 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Much of the recent media coverage treats the old junk plans as a national treasure, their loss a true scandal. Far from being a victim of Obamacare, Barrette should have been a story about someone who will benefit immensely from the Affordable Care Act. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation premium calculator, Barrette, who makes about $30,000 a year, is eligible for an annual tax credit of up to $3,967 a year, which could get her a silver plan on the exchange for $234 a month (in cost to her), or a bronze plan, with slightly higher out of pocket costs, for $97 a month. True, with the bronze plans, she’d be paying $43 a month more, but in return, she would have true protection and access to health care, not sham coverage.

Wrong. Since the Bronze Plan pays only 60% of medical expenses, once she actually NEEDED care, she'd have access to whatever treatment she could pay 40% of. Which, seeing as people who buy this bargain plan are usually poor, is probably none.

A bronze plan would replace her $50 doctor's office discount with free preventive care services, including mammograms, cover hospitalization and other services, and cap her out of pocket costs at slightly more than $6,000 a year.

Oh is that all? Wonderful!  But wait!  You get a FREE MAMMOGRAM!!!!!  That makes up for everything.  :icon_rolleyes:

Barrette should be cheering the death of her old plan.

I'm sure she will be when she's homeless after the hospital takes her house to pay for her 40% of "covered hospitalization and other services." What a lucky lucky woman indeed.

Nice job shilling for the corporations.

Edited by jasmine, 08 November 2013 - 09:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users