kimpossible

The All-Purpose Trump Administration and the Russians Thread

In other news, the FBI have been investigating whether the President of the United States of America is a Russian spy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/us/politics/fbi-trump-russia-inquiry.html

WASHINGTON — In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.

If this pans out then it's the absolute worst case scenario.

This is a good Twitter thread on it by the way. The ending is interesting because it talks about one of Obama's last Executive Orders. He gave the FBI and CIA access to any NSA findings in matters of counter espionage. The implication clearly being Obama knew what was up and gave the FBI and CIA the tools they would need to get the job done.

Yeah there's no way a man of such great character and sharp mind as Donald Trump could find himself compromised by Russian spies. You can't con an honest man.

In mid-June 2017, the Russian foreign ministry confirmed that, for the first time ever, Russia had failed to receive a formal greeting from the U.S. government on occasion of Russia's national day celebrated on 12 June
https://russia-insider.com/en/politics/spineless-trump-first-potus-not-congratulate-russian-holiday-25-years/ri20103

In April 2017, Trump's administration denied a request from ExxonMobil to allow it to resume oil drilling in Russia
https://money.cnn.com/2017/04/21/news/companies/trump-exxon-russia-sanctions/index.html

On July 6, 2017, during a speech in Warsaw, Poland, Trump urged Russia to cease its support for "hostile regimes" in Syria and Iran
https://www.jpost.com/American-Politics/Trump-calls-on-Putin-to-distance-Russia-from-Syria-and-Iran-498972

On 26 March 2018, president Donald Trump ordered the expulsion of sixty Russian diplomats and closure of Russian consulate in Seattle.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/gdpr-consent/?destination=%2fpolitics%2ftrump-administration-expels-60-russian-officers-shuts-seattle-consulate-in-response-to-attack-on-former-spy-in-britain%2f2018%2f03%2f26%2f8ada3d8e-30f0-11e8-8bdd-cdb33a5eef83_story.html%3f&utm_term=.980bbad7c489

The U.S. air and artillery strike on a pro-government formation in eastern Syria on 7 February 2018, which caused massive death toll among Russian nationals and a political scandal in Russia, was billed by media as "the first deadly clash between citizens of Russia and the United States since the Cold War" and "an episode that threatens to deepen tensions with Moscow"
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-21/white-house-weighs-citing-russian-deaths-as-sign-of-u-s-resolve

In April 2018, US-Russian relations were further exacerbated by missile strikes against the Syrian government targets following the suspected chemical attack in Douma on 7 April
https://nationalinterest.org/feature/tensions-are-flaring-between-washington-moscow-25326

"Definitely the work of a Russian spy pulloimng his strings"

2125426786_e0d4d40399.jpg

10 hours ago, Gringo said:

Yeah there's no way a man of such great character and sharp mind as Donald Trump could find himself compromised by Russian spies. You can't con an honest man.

Jesus fuck the idiocy of Russiagaters just keeps getting worse, if Trump is a Russian spy what in the fuck has Putin got out of it? Trump has increased sanctions on Russia higher than ever, armed Kiev, attacked Syria, increased arms spending, withdrawn from nuclear weapons deals all against express Russian wishes. 

Then there's the lame "Trump is a bad man so obviously he's in bed with the evil Russians, evil sticks together" argument. It's intelligence insulting 'A is B and C is B so A is C' racist logical fallacy stuff you are attempting to sell there Gringo. You really think anyone who spreads such bullshit ends up smelling of roses?

It's amazing how defensive you guys get about a reported fact - in this case that there was an FBI investigation. You act like Gringo came up with a theory all by himself, and then attack him and "his" non-existent theory. 

6 hours ago, mikey mikey said:

I remember Gringo saying that it doesn't matter if it's true provided that it gets Trump out.

Wasn't that right, Gringo?

I want Trump gone. False conviction, heart attack, killed by eagle during photo op, suicide, gets bored and quits, actual conviction, whatever. I Do Not Care How He Goes.

But with that in mind, I really hope he's not actually a Russian asset. That would be monumentally bad. Whether he was removed for it or not you don't want the leader of the USA to be a Russian stooge.

And we know why too. Yeltsin, the man the USA put in charge of Russia, was a fucking disaster for everybody. If Trump is Russia's version of Yeltsin the consequences could be just as bad.

2 hours ago, lisae said:

It's amazing how defensive you guys get about a reported fact - in this case that there was an FBI investigation. You act like Gringo came up with a theory all by himself, and then attack him and "his" non-existent theory. 

The FBI trying to incriminate the Russian government as a means to oust an political leader and involve Russia in internal US affairs is not welcome news.

Your attempt to insinuate that either I or BF is "defending" Trump is typical of "centrist" hawks.

17 minutes ago, Gringo said:

you don't want the leader of the USA to be a Russian stooge.

Considering the US foreign policies from 2016 to 2019, can you seriously say that is in any way even a remote possibility?

26 minutes ago, mikey mikey said:

Considering the US foreign policies from 2016 to 2019, can you seriously say that is in any way even a remote possibility?

Yes. You think the USA is being well run?

Look I don't expect the guy to be disbanding the military and helping unload container ships full of Russian tanks at major ports, but he's definitely tanking the country in other ways. Maybe he's tanking the country innocently or by accident because he's a thick fuck who doesn't understand anything about the job, but I wouldn't rule out a man of his proclivities being leveraged.

I don't understand the incredulity. Any spy service in the world would kill (and many literally have) to get their hooks into a world leader. And a man like Trump is eminently hookable.

41 minutes ago, mikey mikey said:

The FBI trying to incriminate the Russian government as a means to oust an political leader and involve Russia in internal US affairs is not welcome news.

Your attempt to insinuate that either I or BF is "defending" Trump is typical of "centrist" hawks.

And yet, you know I'm neither a centrist nor a hawk. Maybe one day you'll realise that opposing  massive corruption at the highest levels of government just makes sense, and isn't an ideologically driven stance at all. 

8 minutes ago, lisae said:

And yet, you know I'm neither a centrist nor a hawk. 

And you know neither I nor BF are defenders of Trump. Yet here we are.

18 minutes ago, Gringo said:

he's definitely tanking the country in other ways.

Regarding Russa?

How?

More sanctions, more aggressive rhetoric, more expulsions....

I just gave the detailed list.

What's the change of direction?

Obviously we are "defensive" because we are Russian spys! Why else question the witch hunter?

The FBI opened an investigation into what Trump personally knew about what was going on within his campaign, calling that an investigation into whether he is a "Russian spy" is spin in the first place, and it's ridiculous spin.

Edited by Beltaine fox

9 hours ago, mikey mikey said:

Regarding Russa?

How?

More sanctions, more aggressive rhetoric, more expulsions....

I just gave the detailed list.

What's the change of direction?

Regarding everything. As I said I don't expect him to be literally rolling out the red carpet for Russian interests. But trashing the USA in general benefits Russia greatly.

I mean shutting the government down over fucking nothing doesn't strike you as odd?

Edited by Gringo

4 hours ago, Gringo said:

But trashing the USA in general benefits Russia greatly.

In what way that would that be worth the risk of  getting caught having a POTUS as your  agent?

America does that to other countries All. The. Time. There are no consequences. The worst Russia can expect is more of the same in terms of sanctions, etc whereas there was the potential to have them lifted by Trump. 

28 minutes ago, lisae said:

America does that to other countries All. The. Time. There are no consequences. The worst Russia can expect is more of the same in terms of sanctions, etc whereas there was the potential to have them lifted by Trump. 

Er... the sanctions have been increased and extended, have they not? 

But trashing the USA in general benefits Russia greatly.

How exactly? 

I mean shutting the government down over fucking nothing doesn't strike you as odd?

Well, it's never happened before except in 1980, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1990, 1995 to 1996 and 2013.

I get why Beltaine prefers Trump in power:

"....Likewise, do not want the Kurds to provoke Turkey. Russia, Iran and Syria have been the biggest beneficiaries of the long term U.S. policy of destroying ISIS in Syria - natural enemies. We also benefit but it is now time to bring our troops back home. Stop the ENDLESS WARS!"

Couldn't this be any more clearer why warmongers want him out of office? 

Yes he's an ignorant, racist, sexist, egotistical person but the endless wars brought on by previous administrations are causing misery to the rest of the world...with the blowback occurring in the US. Trump saw 9/11 and probably knew this was directly due to foreign policy. 

So take the piss out of Beltaine all you want but you pretend left leaning liberals are nothing of substance. 

This is here I sign off and adios amigos. 

2 hours ago, Vivat said:

This is here I sign off and adios amigos. 

Please consider coming back one day. You will be missed.☹️

Edited by mikey mikey