Sign in to follow this  
Snorky

Conservatives lose Wentworth, set sights on losing Nationally

I was expecting a post about Victoria. 

Lyle Shelton is so mad. 

Edited by lisae

46730515_365565407344020_827368522789368

Proudly brought to you by Lee Lin Chin   #primechinister
https://www.facebook.com/LeeLinChinForWentworth/?__tn__=kCH-R&eid=ARCkuFMkWAza77Uu2tHJRalSQD8z_o3ZIsCkcDD-uuJm-XT9ZIfWhMPbHtIv6YwNoD3khuyGTnfMXroq&hc_ref=ARQBp5YiT603aOOEnUO-C8FGUr_W4VR9HWeWjgKlLRwsyTMmgP4kusrEMam_UiGOgPM&fref=nf

From the #primechinister:

"After the rout in Victoria, you can smell the fear in the LNP ranks like piss in a carpark stairwell.

Fear is all they have left, and they’re going to throw it at you by the bus-load from now until their certain annihilation at the upcoming election.

The only thing they fear is their imminent loss of power.

The Australian people have nothing to fear - apart from domestic violence - but the LNP doesn’t want to talk about that, as they're pretty dismissive of women.

So instead they want you to fear Muslims.

To fear Migrants.

To fear for your Job, to fear for your Home - hell - according to Scomo, you need to fear for your seat on the bus!

The Libs just ran on fear in Victoria, and that worked pretty well for them.

Not.

But that won’t stop Scomo, Dutton & Abbott - because fear is all they’ve got left to peddle.

They have nothing - no Energy Policy, no Climate Change Policy, no policy to combat the epidemic of Domestic Violence - nothing.

Just fear.

Fear of your vote.

So lets watch them squirm in fear like the maggots they are.

Pass the Popcorn & the Baseball Bat.

Bring on the election - as it’s time to flush fear, climate change skepticism, homophobia & navel-gazing-dickhead-power-obsessed politicians back down the sewer of fear they wallow in.

Image may contain: 3 people, text that says 'SHIT SCARED'

Onya #primechinister

Edited by Snorky

As I keep saying, the Liberals need to NOT learn from this election.  Just keep doing what they're doing. 

I saw a comment from a Liberal insider that pointed out that young people and women hate them. Which means their base are mostly older men, just like the party leadership itself. I think we can be confident that they'll stick to their guns, believing they'll be proven right in the long run. 

I think it's interesting that the far right haven't done anywhere near as well in Australia as they have in other places. Even though Australia has a huge fan base for this stuff, the more they influence the conservative side of politics, the worse they do. I think it's all because of mandatory voting. A lot of average Australians maybe wouldn't care enough about politics to vote otherwise, but when they have an incentive to go to the polls, they lean towards fairness and away from bigotry. I wish more places had mandatory voting. 

Yes indeedy.

Imagine what a grander place the US would be if mandatory voting was enacted.

Of course, that would impinge on their so-called freedoms "not to vote". Oh well, more of the same shit I guess. Same for the UK. Pity.

At the G20, Trump asks Scomo:
"What happened to Trumble"
"Who?"
"Hah!  Nice one Scumbo"
"What?"
"Exactly"

Presidential indifference and non-plussedmentarianism:

trump%20non-plussed_zpsxqpvuzvi.jpg

Onya Scotty, another one off your bucketlist.

Edited by Snorky

While question time in the House of Representatives is mostly embarrassing, the unrepresentative swill in the Senate are doing their best . . .

Senator Jenny McAllister: “Given Mr Morrison has refused to save Jane Prentice, Ann Sudmalis, and Senators Molan and Gichuhi, but has today intervened to save Craig Kelly, how does Mr Morrison decide when to intervene? Why is there a quota for clowns, but not for women?”

Senator Cory Bernardi: “Point of order. You can’t refer to Members of Parliament as ‘clowns’.”

Senator McCallister: “The Prime Minister called you all ‘Muppets’!”

Senate President Scott Ryan: "Order! I actually couldn't hear the second part of that question due to noise from my right. So, if there was something unparliamentary, I'd ask it to be withdraw . . .”

Senator Bernardi: “Senator McAllister suggested that the Prime Minister failed to intervene in the preselection of clowns. It’s simply inappropriate and Senator McAllister knows. She should withdraw.”

Senator Derryn Hinch: “Isn’t truth a defence . . . ?”

As NSW moves towards an election and Nationally we have to vote again, maybe in May . . . here's today's fracas as the Liberals implode yet again . . .

Former SkyNews' contributor and commentator, Human Rights' advocate, McDonald's activist, now Jew advocate and all-round good married gay guy, Tim Wilson, is in trooble as familial links and arrogant Liberal Party bullshit comes back to haunt him and the Jews in his marginal seat of Goldstein . . .

Ah, that's a shame. Bye-bye Timaaaaaaaaay.

Edited by Snorky

And in other news, Tony Jones pulls the pin on hosting ABC TV's Q&A . . . to join the Communist Party of China before the shit hits the fan.

After more than a decade in one of Australia’s most iconic TV roles, ABC presenter Tony Jones has made a surprising announcement.

The man who gave us one of Australia’s finest traditions: screaming at the television on a Monday night while tweeting with enough anger to break your phone screen with your thumbs; has decided to resign his post.

The 63-year-old presenter said he would “reluctantly” give up his role as the show’s main host before the end of 2019.

He will travel to Asia with his wife, fellow ABC presenter [and Communist] Sarah Ferguson, as she takes on a new role as the ABC’s China bureau chief.

“I love doing Q&A,” Jones said. “But going to China is an ­opportunity too good to miss.”

CNLGf_iVEAEysjv.jpg
Tony Jones: "We'll take the Twitter handle on that screenshot as a comment, thank you very much. But no Fact-Checking will be required, obviously."

ac7a796845ff69b6393e6c639aa4e9fd?width=6
Former PM, Malcolm "Bomber" Trumble, appearing on Q&A in his leather jacket, when he was cooler

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/current-affairs/tony-jones-has-confirmed-he-will-leave-abcs-qa-before-the-year-is-up/news-story/cfe5e4bf6c72d2a5995709103f9c354a

Bye-bye Tone.

Q&A has been unwatchable for years. Even when there's a panel we think we'd like, we can't bring ourselves to watch. It's all about the Twitter traffic and generating viral videos. 

Umm Lise, the ratings would indicate that Q&A is anything but unwatchable among Australia's varied populace. Unless of course a potential viewer is so far skewed - left or right - that there is literally nothing on free-to-air TV that would suit them. Well as you know, bugger 'em.

People like Zaky Mallah and Yassmin Abdel-Magied, create their own noise, Q&A is but a conduit to expose them. The more Australians who see outlier fucks like Zaky and Yassim, the better. These people end up hanging themselves as we've seen.

For several years now I've read your stuff here at ETF and watched you lose touch with the average Australian, while your espoused beliefs skew you further to the far left. You used to be vaguely keen on Labor getting elected over the Liberals. Now you don't seem to care because Labor isn't nearly good enough for you and as support for the Greens continues to wane.

But lately, you've been sounding more like those disaffected interest groups that ultimately achieve very little as they spiral off into the oblivion of irrelevancy as the Trumps and Bolsonaros of the world triumph. While principles count, sometimes people just have to do the right thing for the betterment of the majority, not the 'special interests' of the many splintered groups of pious fuckpeople.

Don't worry about extreme groups watching Q&A creating 'Twitter traffic' and generating viral videos for their handful of supporters. That sort of stuff just doesn't matter. What matters is getting issues of the day front and centre of the great unwashed.

Importantly, by how many seats do your think Shorty will win? Or will it be close, despite the polls?

Of course I prefer Labor over the Liberals. Why on earth would you think otherwise? I just can't give them my primary vote (or any vote in the Senate) until their asylum seeker policy changes. I don't give a shit about what the average person thinks, I have my own values and will vote accordingly. That's democracy. Get used to it. 

As for TV, I'm happy to watch Insiders and even The Drum. Neither of them try to deliberately generate viral videos, for the most part. They have more informed, thoughtful discussion. 

Well how about a hint of enthusiasm for the notion that the Libs will get slayed in this election, rather than down-in-the-mouth disinterest, as Australia gently takes two steps to the left into the more sensible centre/centre-right-ish (or centre-leftish as per the viewer's angle)?

Of course, that's not to say that Shorty and Labor will bolt it in, there's too much time for him to trip up if the Libs can get some traction on Labor's proposed negative gearing and capital gains tax changes, as well as franking changes, more so if the national property market slump we're in gets a wriggle on and the economy grinds to a halt between now and the election. The best thing Labor could do, shortly after winning the election, is to delay the introduction of negative gearing and capital gains tax changes by calling an enquiry into the likely effects of changing the rules in the middle of a significant property slump. The changes should have been introduced back in 2014 as the market started to boom, not as it busts. Anyway, hang on to your hats in respect of unintended trickle-down as the property market throws out the anchors and tradies' utes get auctioned for bargain prices, unemployment skyrockets, teeth gnash etc.

Yes well, the Insiders and The Drum are far more unbalanced than Q&A. They're also favourites with some lefty-lefts I know. It's a pity Ray Martin didn't run a bias ruler over those two programs, rather than say the whole of the ABC was basically 'impartial' (thank you B1 and B2).

Not a fan of Leigh 'Tough Question' Sales or the 7.30 Report? Foreign Correspondent? Four Corners? I rather like Brockie's Insight on SBS when the subject matter is of interest.

Considering Q&A's *live*, I'm surprised more clangers don't go through, especially some of those rabid luvvies in the audience who get riled up as the program rolls on, goaded by some of the answers from panel members. Good stuff.  I don't think Q&A deliberately sets out each week at the pre-production meeting to create Twitter rage and viral videos. Giving loonies an airing often finishes them off (bye-bye Mallah and Yassmin). Very healthy. Gets them off the air permanently, and out of the 'national conversation'. Q&A should get some of those thugs from Reclaim Australia on and in doing so, expose them, and thereby end them as far as a going concern is concerned.

Do we like ex-SkyNews sensible-centrist, Australian contributor, Channel 10 political editor and Winthrop Professor and Foundation Chair of Journalism at the University of Western Australia, Peter van Onselen and his role on The Drum? I imagine he might come across a little too right (and smug) for the luvvies who watch that show. We miss him and his sparring partner and now safely paratrooped-in Labor Senator, Kristina Keneally on SkyNews' Contrarians and To The Point. Ah, those were the days (and nights). I wonder what political party Pete will join when he's ready? Or perhaps he'll start The New Liberals.

Edited by Snorky

3 hours ago, Snorky said:

Not a fan of Leigh 'Tough Question' Sales or the 7.30 Report? Foreign Correspondent? Four Corners? I rather like Brockie's Insight on SBS when the subject matter is of interest.

We were talking about panel shows. But no, we stopped watching a lot of news/current affairs when Billie was old enough to understand what was being reported/discussed because all the grisly stuff was giving her nightmares. We just switch on News 24 when we have a chance to catch up on what's going on. I don't miss all the bleak stuff, especially Four Corners. I watch it on iView if there's been something really important on. 

3 hours ago, Snorky said:

Well how about a hint of enthusiasm for the notion that the Libs will get slayed in this election, rather than down-in-the-mouth disinterest, as Australia gently takes two steps to the left into the more sensible centre/centre-right-ish (or centre-leftish as per the viewer's angle)?

This period of Coalition government has been too horrific to pay a lot of attention to. I can't stand to listen to any of these fuckers talk. Normal life will resume, to some extent, when they're out of power. Even more normality will resume when Trump and his family are all in jail. And by "normal" I mean a normal level of unsatisfactory. 

Well, well, well, today's Herald (aka Channel Nine) seems to be in sympathy with you about Q&A Lise (now there's a surprise!) . . .

Last night’s Q&A recap: Libs and Labor clash
over refugee bill and franking credits

In case you hadn't noticed, Q&A was on hand last night to remind you: there is a federal election campaign coming on.

The campaign is coming on in the sense that the kettle you just turned on is coming on. The water is warming up. You are waiting for it to boil. You are watching the kettle and wanting to murder it. A watched kettle never boils, they say. Nor does a watched campaign, and we've been watching this one for so long it's hard not to pray for an inadvertent house fire to put us out of our misery.

Cup of tea? Or your house burning down? Hang on a minute and let's see what seems the best outcome.

At a minimum we face three months of Liberal MPs like Sarah Henderson trying to convince us they really believe everything they say about things like refugees and climate change, even as Labor MPs like Mark Dreyfus try to convince us they will do everything they promise about things like refugees and climate change.

On Q&A, to Henderson fell the task of being the panel representative of a government strongly on the nose and today perhaps facing a defeat on the floor of the House of Reps over medical transfers of refugees from Manus Island and Nauru.

Dreyfus declared Labor would vote for the bill - probably.

"We are going to vote for the Phelps' bill or the Phelps' amendment. But we are negotiating with the crossbench for three clarifications."

Tony Jones wondered: "Sarah Henderson, is the Government looking at facing a massive political defeat tomorrow on this bill?"

And as we watched and waited for the kettle to boil, Henderson turned on the waffle iron.

"This is all about politics, Tony!" she told the nation, which recoiled at the suggestion that politics might be about politics.

She went on: "Labor has been forced to crawl back into this position… the political consequences are that all Australians will see that Labor will do anything to unravel border protection in this country."

Drefyus thought this allegation "bizarre and disgraceful".

The nation thought: please, Lord, not another election about border protection. We've had seven in a row, to no sensible outcome.

Campaign-heavy cynicism hung in the air.

Jones asked Henderson if this debate - along with Labor's contentious franking credits policy - amounted to free kicks for a struggling government looking for weak spots to exploit.

"Will those things gift you your electorate?" he asked of the Coalition's most marginal MP.

"Absolutely not," replied Henderson, though she was going to do her best to ensure they did.

She had declared the franking credits policy "an appalling theft of older Australians money… Labor intends to steal this money from older Australians".

Panellist Stephen Mayne, the journalist and shareholder activist, pushed back: "Is it possible not to call it theft? It's not theft."

Dreyfus, in defence: "It's not theft and it doesn't affect pensioners."

Henderson: "I'm out in Corangamite, Port Arlington, St Leonards - also campaigning for a new pool for the North Bellarine."

She went on to throw the switch to compassion - we also help the homeless! We're very proud! - which prompted this from Tony Jones: "Sarah, we're not quite in the election campaign yet."

Really? We're not?

You'd have a hard time convincing most Australians of that, as they sit and wait for the kettle to boil. The jolly swagman with his billy would have tossed himself in the billabong weeks ago.

And in these phoney-war days, if a politician offered you a choice between waiting for that official campaign cup of tea and your house burning down… well, let's be frank, you'd have to think about it.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/q-and-a-recap-libs-and-labor-clash-over-refugee-bill-and-franking-credits-20190212-p50x4m.html

And from today's Herald (Channel Nine):

bad%20luck%20scotty_zps9falnomo.jpg

Ah, that's a shame Scotty.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/prime-minister-s-strength-turns-into-a-weakness-20190212-p50xd2.html

The only downside is that the Libs, if they were smart, would run their election campaign on 'Keeping The Boats Stopped', and stopping Labor's negative gearing/capital gains on residential property. Both divisive issues: 60% of Australians either owning their home outright or having a mortgage on one (split roughly 50/50). Boat Stopping has won and lost elections in the past.

If Shorty misspeaks, gets more boring (almost an impossibility), or he or the Labor Party is subject to a scandal between now and election day, the Libs might just pull off the impossible like PJ Keating did in 1993 for the True Believers and which proved to be the sweetest victory of all. But this is Scotty and the Libs, so perish the thought.

Also, this is all quite the feather in the cap for newbie Independent Kerryn Phelps. At least she's done something now and has a better chance of being re-elected in Wentworth (a tall order, but). Tone might be dumped from Warringah but, so swings and roundabouts.

5b41ff486cf7b7ca1a72ae1f6084b9d2bc32ab50

Sisters doing it for themselves: (from left) Kerryn Phelps (Ind), ex-Liberal Julia Banks and ex-Xena Warrior, Rebekha Sharkie

Additional Herald reportage: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/scott-morrison-suffers-historic-defeat-as-border-protection-election-looms-20190212-p50xd0.html

Extra reporting: https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/speaker-tony-smith-puts-propriety-before-politics-and-lets-the-government-suffer-20190212-p50xdd.html

Edited by Snorky

And today, ScoMo feels the heat at a media conference . . .

In the video below, at about the 5.23 mark, The Guardian’s Katharine Murphy gets under ScoMo's skin and won't let him go. Well done Katherine . . .

Text of what Katherine said to ScoMo:

“Your government MPs, people like Tony Abbott, are saying that as a consequence of the bill that passed the House yesterday, it’s now get on a boat, get to Nauru, get sick and get to Australia, when the law ...” The Guardian’s Katharine Murphy started to say.

“That is entirely possible. That is entirely possible,” Mr Morrison interjected.

“If I can finish?” Ms Murphy shot back.

“The law that passed the House yesterday clearly limits it to the current cohort. So what Mr Abbott is saying is not true.”

“No, I’m sorry Katharine, you fail to understand that people smugglers don’t deal with the nuance of the Canberra bubble,” Mr Morrison said.

“It might be all fine and nice to talk about these nuances here in this courtyard but when you’re in a village in Indonesia and someone is selling you a product, there are no protections or truth in advertising laws for people smugglers. They just sell a message, and what Tony Abbott has said it exactly what the people smugglers will be saying.”

The Prime Minister started to look to the next questioner, but Ms Murphy wasn’t finished.

“No, I’m going over here,” Mr Morrison said.

“It is a fact,” she said.

“It is a nuance which the people smugglers will ignore and what is true today, Katharine, what is true today, as a result of what happened in the parliament yesterday and what is happening in the Senate now, is our border protection laws are weaker than they were two days ago. That’s a fact. Thank you.”

Finally moving on, Mr Morrison ruled out going to an election on the issue, saying the vote would still happen in May, after the budget.

He said Labor had left the Nauru and Manus Island detention centres in “appalling condition” last time it was in government.

“The Labor Party hadn’t properly funded them, they hadn’t put the right medical staff in place. Let’s not forget that the Labor Party put children on Manus Island.

“So I’m not going to take lectures on humanitarianism from the Labor Party.”

He ended the press conference with a final warning to asylum seekers thinking about getting on a boat.

“I’m going to be engaged in very clear and direct messaging to anyone who thinks they should get on a boat. I’m here. And I will stop you,” Mr Morrison said.

“What remains is the resolve and strength and conviction of my government, myself as Prime Minister, Peter Dutton as Home Affairs Minister, and that remains a big hurdle for them to get over. I can tell you the bar they have to clear if Bill Shorten is prime minister is lower than a snake’s belly.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/politics-live-wednesday-february-13/news-story/00ed7f4acf1afbab76eb1569c8a9abe3

Edited by Snorky

And today's big alarmist headline:

Labor may have just
lost the election

Prime MInister Scott Morrison was humiliated by the loss as the Medivac legislation passed through the lower house the other day. The result showed the government had lost control of Parliament.

Yet he was spared a greater blow by Labor and the crossbenchers, who took the appropriation out of the bill by making sure there was no remuneration for the expert panel who would rule on refugee medical transfers.

Labor Opposition Leader, Bill Shorten, could have pushed harder and chose not to. The Opposition Leader did not turn the government’s loss into a call for an election. Given the way this Parliament carries on, that is a shame.

There is a contradiction in everything Morrison says. He has made the medical transfer bill out to be a momentous change that presents a grave threat to border integrity, to the point of calling a meeting of the national security committee of cabinet, assembling border command officials and re-opening the Christmas Island detention centre.

If the change is so significant, why not call an election?

Morrison hesitates to follow through on his own rhetoric. This looks like weakness because it tells Australians he is not confident enough to take this fight to the ballot box right now.

Australia would be better off with an election sooner rather than later. This is not about whether Morrison or Shorten should win. That is for voters to decide. After the turmoil over the Liberal leadership and now the descent into minority government, the nation would benefit from an election to decide majority government one way or the other.

The question for the future is whether Morrison would have been better off going to the people immediately on border security.

Shorten has better reasons for a delay because he needs the attention on asylum seekers to dissipate before the election. His greatest weakness on this issue is Labor’s own record the last time it was in government: 51,798 asylum seeker arrivals and about 2000 children in detention.

A majority of Australians have been unsympathetic in the past toward asylum seekers who come by boat, according to surveys by the Scanlon Foundation at Monash University. Shorten taps into a real desire to give refugees prompt medical care, but Morrison will always change the subject to the risk of more boat arrivals.

Labor may have just lost the election. The danger to Labor will depend on events, such as any hypothetical boat arrivals, but it is not to be dismissed. Mediscare worked. This scare campaign will work, too. The scale of its impact is the great unknown.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/shorten-should-have-called-for-an-election-immediately-20190214-p50xqx.html

Ah, bad luck Shorty: winning the election one day, fucked the next.

From fairly recent reports, there have been 64,362 applications for protection visas over the past four years from people who arrived by plane. The people smugglers have just switched modes of transport, and plane arrivals are less likely to be genuine refugees than boat arrivals typically have been. This whole issue is a farce. 

We should organise to take a quota of asylum seekers officially from Indonesia and elsewhere for processing here. They should be transported by regular flights and otherwise treated the same way as those 64,362 plane arrivals have been. If they arrive without visas they are generally put into onshore detention until their status is established. This would break the people smugglers' business model once and for all, because there would finally be a proper queue and an established process to get out of the hell refugees find themselves in when they get to Indonesia, etc. We would have more control over how many come and who they are. They could be screened somewhat and treated for illnesses before they hop on a plane here and overstay their visa.