Beltaine fox

L'Inévitable

An opinion poll shows Mr Macron’s popularity rising from 31% in November 2018 to 35% between December and January 2019 with support rising particularly strongly among supporters of Les Républicains.

And now France's National Assembly Government is considering upping the ante to end the violence by passing new laws to curb the violence:

France’s National Assembly is expected on Tuesday to approve an “anti-wreckers” law aimed at curbing violent street demonstrations in spite of harsh criticism by human rights groups and some of President Emmanuel Macron’s own MPs, who call it an attack on civil liberties.

The vote follows three months of sometimes vicious clashes across the nation between anti-government “gilets jaunes” (yellow vest) protesters and the security forces, in which more than 2,000 demonstrators and police officers have been injured, while a dozen people have reportedly been killed in traffic accidents during the confusion.

Christophe Castaner, interior minister, has led a crackdown on the so-called “casseurs” (wreckers) after groups of mostly young men who joined gilets jaunes demonstrations in Paris and other cities attacked government buildings, looted shops and set fire to vehicles.

The security forces in turn have been condemned by French liberals and the left, and by many of the gilets jaunes, for excessive use of force against demonstrators. They have fired more than 9,000 rounds of rubber bullets, stun grenades and tear gas canisters. Several demonstrators have lost an eye or suffered head and jaw injuries that they blame on the missiles.

The proposed law would forbid people from obscuring their faces to avoid identification. Many of the casseurs have worn masks or scarves, and some have worn gas masks to avoid the effects of tear gas.

Matthieu Orphelin and Aurélien Taché, members of parliament from Macron’s La République en Marche party, both said publicly that they would refuse to back the anti-casseurs law in its present form. 

https://on.ft.com/2SfEqf7

or https://www.ft.com/content/be8557c0-2895-11e9-88a4-c32129756dd8

Mmm, interesting.

Edited by Snorky

The French authorities increasingly ridiculous estimates for protests in Acte XIII are 12 100 across France, with 4000 of them in Paris. But to my eyes the protests looked bigger this week than last, they probably had close to 10 000 in Toulouse alone, and Paris looks like about 7000 to me. Whatever there is nothing worthy of the media changing the media blackout ... oh look Venezuela

Edited by Beltaine fox

Police in Paris suddenly start beating a girl who has been peacefully sitting in her knees

Edited by Beltaine fox

Journalist has their hand blown off by stun grenade, the images are blurred but not for the squeemish

Edited by Beltaine fox

Yes, but did you see this on your TV:

Beautiful indeed. [Mag. Nif. Eek. you fucking auto-translator POS]

Edited by Snorky

Yeah I saw that, nice one, but we already thought of that during the indyref after British Labour MPs held a rally on the Buchanan street steps in Glasgow to support a No vote and were marching out of Central Station to Buchanan street together

Edited by Beltaine fox

This is an old clip from Dec, but I thought I'd check out the action in some of the small towns I've visited and this was just so southern rural French I had to put it up, the Wreckers of Cahors

Edited by Beltaine fox

A good idea will always be a good idea, no matter what country it's performed in, or who thought of it firkst.

But this video's reminiscent of how Hitler's troops just walked into France. Those 'Stormtroopers' really need to come to grips with the notion of 'armed resistance'. Jesus the French are hopeless: