mikey mikey

Harris/Brooker/Gillibrand 2020

It occured to me that while Gabbard, Sanders and to a lesser extent Yang and Warren have come under a fair amount of scrutiny on these boards, their more "moderate"  counterparts have not.

So before we miss this opportunity to air their closets, I suggest we take a look.

Starting with Kamal Harris on jailing folks for shiggles

Kamala Harris laughed about jailing parents over truancy. But it's not funny

Cory Booker Hates Public Schools

The son of wealthy parents who were among IBM’s first black executives, Booker’s big political break came in September 2000, when he was tapped to give a keynote speech to the archconservative Manhattan Institute. Calling the Newark school system “repugnant,” Booker claimed there was “great evidence” that large groups of children “cannot succeed in the public school system.”

Yet rather than improving this system by increasing school funding or building public “community schools,” Booker made a hard case for charter schools as well as school vouchers, i.e., state funding for parents to pay for private schools. To give this pitch a social justice veneer, he quoted Frederick Douglass — “power concedes nothing without force” — and steeped his arguments in the language of racial justice.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/02/cory-booker-charters-public-schools-president

Gillibrand is WallStreet

A year later, Gillibrand was part of a group of lawmakers warning federal regulators not to impose new rules on derivatives because they would make US financial firms uncompetitive internationally. In 2013, she, Schumer, and four other Democratic senators wrote to the treasury secretary asking that new guidelines that would have expanded the scope of derivatives rules be delayed. The New York Times editorial board, hardly a paragon of leftism, accused them of “going against the cause of reform, lobbying for delays that would derail the law.”

Incidentally, between April and August 2010, Gillibrand met thirteen times with members of various financial firms, including Credit Suisse First Boston, JP Morgan, PwC, Ernst & Young, and Fidelity Investments, according to her public schedule. In the months before asking federal regulators to act on new derivatives rules, she met with representatives of Blackstone, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, and Zurich Financial Services. She also attended a Wall Street fundraiser in May 2010 in the midst of working on financial reform, showing up even after then–Connecticut senator Chris Dodd backed out due to negative publicity.

If Hillary Clinton’s closeness to Wall Street torpedoed her campaign — and more importantly, made her a poor agent of change — then Gillibrand has the same problem in spades.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/kirsten-gillibrand-trump-clinton-cabinet

According to VoteView (using DW-NOMINATE), both Booker and Harris have voting records that place them to the left of 95-98% of other Democrats in the Senate. For Gillibrand it's more like 77%.

All that tells us is that the Senate is populated by garbage.

Harris is a cop by her own words, who got where she is through general oppression and mistreatment of vulnerable people. 

The truancy thing alone should disqualify her, but that’s not an anomaly- that’s the theme of how she treated people her whole career. 

We’d be better off with Mitt Romney. 

2 hours ago, lisae said:

According to VoteView (using DW-NOMINATE), both Booker and Harris have voting records that place them to the left of 95-98% of other Democrats in the Senate. For Gillibrand it's more like 77%.

Why doesn't that surprise me at all.

2 hours ago, CBQ said:

Yes, the Democrats are a very conservative party in general. 

When you go back through Bernie Sanders' DW-NOMINATE scores, he has generally been to the left of 95% or so of all Senators, but for one term he was the most liberal senator. Currently Harris and Booker are more liberal than him by voting record. 

It's easy to suddenly be 'left' in your relatively short senatorial voting record when your side of the aisle is in the minority and you're personally trying to build up your progressive street cred  for any Presidential ambitions later on.

Voting records should be taken with a grain of salt, especially when mainstream, corporate-friendly senators like Harris and Booker are involved.

School choice resonates very differently in different parts of the country and depending on what choice is being discussed.  I suspect a high majority supports some level of competition for public schools.  I understand Booker's voiced reasons.  I had to endure a hellscape of my own in mandatory public education, and I've never forgiven the system for that.  There's no funding excuse for what happened there.  It was about complete lack of accountability by the staff and institution. I don't think that's remotely a deal-killer for Booker.

BUT, there are a number of "New Jersey" issues which may be.

Edited by Cosmoline

1 hour ago, mikey mikey said:

There are a lot of Booker issues including being in the pocket of Big Pharma

We have a winner!

Another thing about Kamala:

Interview portion lasts until 52:17, I have not watched the commentary that follows. Yvette is controversial, and I don't agree with all of her opinion, although I do agree with several of her opinions (for instance, reparations). This is not an endorsement of her, this is merely to share this interview that is so damning about Kamala. 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:19 AM, CBQ said:

Harris is a cop by her own words, who got where she is through general oppression and mistreatment of vulnerable people. 

The truancy thing alone should disqualify her, but that’s not an anomaly- that’s the theme of how she treated people her whole career. 

We’d be better off with Mitt Romney. 

She voted against letting non-violent drug offenders go because it’d hurt the profit margin of prisons.  Horrible.

Amy Klobuchar deserves a mention on this thread.

In 2011, Klobuchar supported American military action in Libya

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/03/20/klobuchar-supports-u-s-military-action-in-libya/

In 2015, Klobuchar supported a no-fly zone in Syria.

This is an interesting proposal from Klobuchar that puts her against the White House and the Pentagon, and more in line with those of defense hawks in the GOP and in her own party. Imposing a no-fly zone on a given area is one of the strongest projections of military power the U.S. can take while plausibly denying an outright state of war.

https://www.minnpost.com/dc-dispatches/2015/12/four-key-points-klobuchar-s-newly-released-national-security-platform/

Basically a hawk.

More on Amy Klobuchar

Voting record is centrist.

“Her voting record is safe. It’s very centrist and that’s just not what we’re about,” said Anita Seeling of Minnetonka, vice chair of Our Revolution Minnesota’s board. “We need somebody that’s a champion.”

In fact a DINO would be more appropriate.

“However, we’re rather concerned that her commitment to other bold and popular ideas isn’t across the board,” Hatlestad said. She hasn’t said she supports a plan known as Medicare for All that would provide universal health insurance, he noted.

“I hate to use the words ‘litmus test,’ but that’s the prime issue that will determine who progressives support,” said Shawn Olson of Alexandria, Minn. He volunteered on Klobuchar’s 2012 campaign, ran for state Senate in 2016 and works with Organizing for Bernie-Draft Bernie. “Minimum wage is another huge issue.”

Klobuchar hasn’t embraced other progressive priorities, including a $15 minimum wage and tuition-free college. She hasn’t endorsed calls to abolish Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

http://www.startribune.com/winning-progressive-votes-could-be-a-challenge-for-klobuchar/505687862/

The race deserves Centrist representation. I wonder how the actual voters in the Democratic party breaks down between Centrists and Lefties. Percentage wise.

I can picture a scenario where the few Centrists get to punch their tickets onward while a large number of lefties have their votes divied amongst themselves and all fail to move on.

Edited by J H

To me they all have a lot of leftward cred so far except Klobuchar. But that is from my perspective, YMMV.

2 minutes ago, J H said:

To me they all have a lot of leftward cred so far except Klobuchar. But that is from my perspective, YMMV.

Nope. Harris, Booker and Gillinrand have leftward lip service at best and you know it.