Sign in to follow this  
Cosmoline

The Tax Cut That Wasn't

After all those tweets selling the great and wonderful GOP tax passage, the chickens appear to be coming home to roost.  Tens of millions of Trumpites who were eagerly anticipating big refunds are finding out that the "big" refund was nothing more than a slightly lower withholding.  That's it.  So no boat for the lake this summer and maybe no lake vacation at all.  The response from the GOP elite so far has been that people should have done the math and put the tiny bit of extra paycheck money into savings to get that $10 interest check. 

If the D's are smart, they will weaponize this shit and ram it right down Trump's gullet.  This is fucking lethal shit if it's handled right. 

Who'dve thunk it... Cosmo decrying the end of the Mommy-Daddy State?  I always set up my withholding so I owed the gov't a little or got a very small refund.  A refund check is simply a return of tax overpayments that the gov't held without paying any interest.  I don't need the gov't to tell me to save funds or not, but evidently Cosmo is all aghast that this "service" is no longer in effect.

Ridiculous.

You are correct on the math.  But math doesn't vote. 

As far as myself, I am still waiting to hear back from the accountant.  Everything in 2018 is a mess because it's the first time I'm married filing jointly.  There are too many variables for us to be cutting it close to the edge.  I really like a margin of safety with the refund. 

Edited by Cosmoline

In any case, it's going to be fun to see Trump's people tell Trump's angry followers that they already got their money and that they were stupid for assuming a bigger refund was coming.

5 hours ago, Eid said:

Who'dve thunk it... Cosmo decrying the end of the Mommy-Daddy State?  I always set up my withholding so I owed the gov't a little or got a very small refund.  A refund check is simply a return of tax overpayments that the gov't held without paying any interest.  I don't need the gov't to tell me to save funds or not, but evidently Cosmo is all aghast that this "service" is no longer in effect.

Ridiculous.

Where did you get that interpretation from?? Cosmo said Trump's supporters would be aghast. You read that as Cosmo himself being aghast. That's just weird. 

Yes, but excluding Amazon's part-timers, contractors and others (mainly poorly paid US workers allowed under the US 'minimum wage' regime), think of the billions of dollars of tax paid by Amazon's 613,000-strong worldwide workforce. 

It's better to ka-ching from a US base rather than export the whole Amazonian kit and caboodle to China. Or is it?